I have fallen into a cooking rut. First, I have a very busy and very active one year old. Second, I work full-time so by the time I get home I am tired and I want to spend time with my little guy. Third, I have finally gotten on a regular exercise routine so that takes up time after I get home from work. Fourth, I stopped eating meat when pregnant with Cole because I had a huge aversion to it and my taste for meat has yet to return! Fifth, I cook for my son every night so by the time I finish cooking his dinner, giving him a bath and putting him to bed it is at least 7 and I don't feel like doing anything elaborate. Finally, I have a husband who can cook for himself so I don't have to worry about him.
With that said, I give credit to all Moms who have any of the above situations and still find the time to cook a great meal. I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I suppose it just has to become a priority as I finally had to convince myself to do with exercise.
So, any of you out there have any solutions to my cooking rut? Anyone have any vegetarian dishes that are simple, delicious and not too exotic? I am not the best cook (I can bake well but I am not the best at pan searing, broiling, etc.), I like quick, I like convenient and I am not into a lot of vegetables aside from the basics (i.e, I like carrots, broccoli, celery, peas, etc. but have never cooked beets, asparagus, turnip, etc.)
One of my favorite things is to soak some dried beans overnight, and in the morning drain and rinse them, put them in a crock pot with some diced carrot, onion, celery, pat of butter, whatever you want (I always add meat like hamhock or sausage) add water, covering beans several inches. Give it a good stir and put it on low (unless your crock cooks really slow, do high) after 6-8 hours your beans should be done! Season with salt and pepper, make a box mixed corn bread and you have a yummy hearty protein packed meal!
ReplyDeleteNot that I am the best one to respond to this, because I'm not a mom, not married, and have all the time in my day to spend it on myself! haha. So, I have time to exercise, time to cook dinner, make my lunches the night before, and run errands; however, I DO work with several full-time working moms at the hospital and hear them always talking about using their slow cookers, especially with the colder weather. YOu either prep it at night or the morning before and it cooks all day so it's nice and ready for you when you get home. Also make enough for leftovers for 2 or 3 days. In regards to recipes, Rachel Ray has awesome 30 minute meals...you could do all the prep work the night before and make enough to use for another meal another night (i.e. chopped vegs, meat, etc). Lets just say, I hope I take my own advice when the time comes for me. Lastly, is there any way you could work out early in the morning while Tony is still there or Cole is still sleeping? Miss you all and let me know how things go!
ReplyDeleteI suggest doing the crock pot b/c it is safe to leave while at work and you can cook from chicken, to soups, chilli, beef, pot roast, etc etc and mccormicks has wonderful crock pot season's for you to add to what you want to make. I suggest also on the weekends if not to busy make dishes ahead of time and when you get home from work they are prepared and just put in the oven. Plus why not do a weekly dinner calender so you have it all planned out . Good luck and Happy cooking !
ReplyDeleteLeAnna,
ReplyDeleteThat sounds really good. I am definitely going to try that! I have a crock pot but I am so nervous to use it! I don't know why bit it intimidates me! First I am ashame to say I have never used one and second, I worry about leaving it on. I know they are safe but I shut EVERYTHING off when I leave the house and leaving a crock pot on scares me! I really have to try it though...I think by what Kris said too, it sounds like it will be my "saving grace." Your recipe sounds easy enough to be my first trial! Stay posted!
I have a crockpot book your sister gave me and has wonderful recipes in it, plus as everyone says beef stew, freeze some, pot roast, chicken soup....etc. etc. or I make some chili and freeze it and have 3 meals now in the freezer for your Dad!
ReplyDeleteLove ya!
Mom